Saturday 11 February 2017 – Donald Trump admits defeat over his Muslim travel ban but vows to re-introduce it using new executive orders

C4VpD3JW8AAWmDE

When, on Thursday, a federal appeals court rejected his executive order to impose a travel ban on seven Muslim-majority countries, Donald Trump was furious and vowed to fight for the travel ban to be reinstated. Despite angrily Tweeting: “SEE YOU IN COURT,” since then he seems to have realised that further court action could simply lead to more rulings against him. He is now taking a new attack plan, vowing to replace the original travel ban with “something new.” It seems he may have realised that the focus on Muslim countries in his ban is creating the problem. As President he has the power to impose restrictions on specific countries, for any reason, and that he can issue executive orders to this affect. However, his blatant comments in the past over his plan to ban Muslims from entering the USA is tantamount to religious discrimination and unconstitutional.  The courts in the US are reacting to this aspect of his travel ban.  Trump, speaking on Air Force One on the way to Florida said that he was confident he could win any legal battles but that he is now thinking of alternative strategies. He told Associated Press:

 

“We also have a lot of other options, including just filing a brand new order,

 

“We need speed for reasons of security. So it could very well be that we do that.”

 

Asked what a new executive order may contain, he said:

 

“New security measures. We have very, very strong vetting. I call it extreme vetting and we’re going very strong on security. We’re going to have people coming to our country that want to be here for good reasons.”

 

It is unclear whether the new order will be a brand new order or a reworking of the existing one, which is now in limbo after being overruled by court rulings.  President Trump said:

 

“So, we’ll be doing something very rapidly having to do with additional security for our country. You’ll be seeing that sometime next week.

 

“We will continue to go through the court process, and ultimately I have no doubt that we’ll win that particular case.”

 

It is unclear whether Trump will pursue the current travel ban suspensions to the Supreme Court, with contradictory messages coming out of the White House, or whether he will now focus on a new order altogether. A White House official was reported as having said: “The temporary restraining order, we would not take to the supreme court, but we are reviewing all options in the court system,” yet minutes later White House Chief of Staff Reince Preibus told the Washington Post that they were “reviewing all of our options in the court system”, including going to the Supreme Court. President Trump remains bullish:

 

“We are going to keep our country safe, we are going to do whatever is necessary to keep our country safe. We had a decision which we think we are going to be very successful with, it shouldn’t take too much time … Ultimately I have no doubt we’ll win that particular case.

 

“There are tremendous threats to our country. We will not allow that to happen. We will continue to do things to make our country safe. We will not allow people into our country who are looking to do harm to our people.”

Advertisements